The start of something new — FlakPhoto Digest.
We’re developing a new project, a weekly newsletter focused on photography + visual culture recommendations carefully curated from across the Web. You know, the good stuff that deserves a closer look. FlakPhoto Digest is currently in closed beta and will be available to the public later this year. You can request an invite by subscribing below.
35 recommended books of (and about) photography
“The book became the ultimate venue for Lee, not the transitory one of the gallery show, where the pictures could be seen only for a short time, but instead a visual structure that lasted and could repeatedly reacquaint us with what we thought we already knew so well.” - Richard Benson
Hard to believe another year is coming to a close. And this time of the year means one thing: Best of Lists!
Of course every list, like a good mixtape, is subjective and this one is no different. This Books of the Year feature is an occasion to recognize the photography books that made an impression on me in 2014. These are personal recommendations and yes, there are quite a few titles to consider — Who decided on the "Top 10" anyway?
My goal here is to bring wider attention to these works. I'd love more people to discover these photographers and their projects — If you tweet about photography, please share the ones that catch your eye. I've also included related links so you can learn more about the photographers who produced these books.
One of my 2014 resolutions was to spend more time with printed photography — I organized a print show and a photobook exhibition and have spent the year promoting new books of and about photography on my Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook feeds. I plan to do more of it in the New Year. If you're publishing a photobook in 2015, please let me know.
It's clear that print is alive and well — in fact, photographic bookmaking may be more popular than ever. Lists like this help us learn about who's doing the interesting work. It's impossible for any one of us to see every photobook — the scene is exploding and that's a very good thing. Thanks for looking. I hope you find something new. - AA
1. A Road Through Shore Pine / Robert Adams (Fraenkel Gallery)
2. Asylum of the Birds / Roger Ballen (Thames & Hudson)
Related - Asylum of the Birds Film
3. CAMERA ERA / Barbara Levine & Martin Venezky (Self-published)
Related - CAMERA ERA Exhibtion @ Project B
4. Come Again When You Can’t Stay So Long / Tara Wray (Thunder Pony Press)
5. Confessions for A Son / McNair Evans (Owl & Tiger Books)
6. Country Fictions / Juan Aballe (Fuego Books)
7. Eleven Years / Jen Davis (Kehrer Verlag)
8. Gold Coast / Ying Ang (Self-published)
9. Greater Portland, vol. 1 / Mark Marchesi (Self-published)
10. Lee Friedlander: The Printed Picture / Essays by Stephen Hilger and Peter Kayafas
11. Les Chapieux, Geography of a Secret / Celine Clanet (Actes Sud)
12. Minor White: Manifestations of the Spirit / Paul Martineau (Getty Publications)
13. On A Wet Bough / Keliy Anderson Staley (Waltz Books)
14. Out West / Kyler Zeleny (The Velvet Cell)
Related - Kyler Zeleny Urbanautica Interview
15. Pandora’s Camera / Essays by Joan Fontcuberta (MACK)
16. Photographers Sketchbooks / Stephen McLaren and Bryan Formhals (Thames & Hudson)
17. Photographs Rendered in Play-Doh / Eleanor Macnair (MacdonaldStrand / Photomonitor)
Related - Photogrpahs Rendered in Play-Doh Tumblr
19. PIÉMANSON / Vasantha Yogananthan (Chose Commune)
20. Red Ball of a Sun Slipping Down / Eugene Richards (Many Voices Press)
21. Something like a nest / Andy Sewell (Self-published)
22. Storms ÆRA / Anne Lass (Self-published)
23. Sudden Flowers / Eric Gottesman (Fishbar)
Related - Burn Magazine Essay: Sudden Flowers
24. Swell / Mateusz Sarello (Instytut Kultury Wizualnej)
25. Taxonomony of a Landscape / Victoria Sambunaris (Radius Books)
26. The Ninety Nine and The Nine / Katy Grannan (Fraenkel Gallery)
Related - Urbanautica: Katy Grannan: The 99
27. The Photobook: A History, Volume III (Phaidon)
Related - The photobook according to Parr
28. The Reluctant Father / Phillip Toledano (Dewi Lewis Publishing)
Related - The Reluctant Father
29. The Return / Adrain Chesser in collaboration with Timothy White Eagle (Daylight Books)
Related - The Return on Daylight Digital
30. The Sixth Sense / Tytia Habing and Kristianne Koch Riddle (Self-published)
31. Transition / Lauren Marsolier (Kerber)
32. Vivian Maier: A Photographer Found / John Maloof (Harper Collins Design)
33. Walker Evans: The Magazine Work / David Campany (Steidl)
34. Walter & Willow / Aislinn Leggett (Éditions du renard)
Related - Walter & Willow Tumblr
35. What Could Be / David Hilliard (Minor Matters Books)
Tell a friend about this year's booklist? Thank you!
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2014.
Flak Photo is an online photography channel that presents the work of artists, curators, bookmakers and photo organizations to a global audience of people who are passionate about visual culture. Interested in contributing? Click here to learn more »
Are you promoting a photography project? Share it with Flak Photo's global audience by placing a graphic advertisement in this space. For details about banner ads, media partnerships or other inquiries, contact editor Andy Adams »